A society where orphaned and abandoned children, those with abilities and disabilities, are not segregated, but are respected as necessary members of our communities.
To protect orphans and abandoned children, including those having differing abilities and disabilities, by providing a safe environment where they will be sheltered, nurtured, and educated in ways that build Competence, Confidence, Independence and Leadership.
The founders of Shishur Sevay established these principles for the care of our children:
- We shall provide a safe, nurturing, healthy, educational and culturally rich environment.
- We shall develop each child’s education and opportunities in ways that build competence, confidence, and independence.
- We shall teach our children respect for others, irrespective of job category, caste, religion, skin colour, gender and age.
- We shall teach our children to be responsible and contributing members of the community, and to participate in the care of those less fortunate.
- We shall teach our children to respect and protect our environment.
- We shall give our children a strong foundation in Bengali language, culture, and history, so they may be literate, contributory, and respected members of Indian society.
- We shall remain Bengali-language-based, but will teach English and Hindi languages so as to improve their opportunities for participation, work, and education in the global community.
- We shall have fun with our children and share our lives with them!